2.16.2010

Happy Mardi Gras everyone !!!!!!


My daughter just got back from New Orleans today and you have to see the pretty things she brought home to me.  I love her and boy does she know what her Mother likes.

First a little history on this carnival:


From Wikpidia:
The terms "Mardi Gras" (pronounced /ˈmɑrdi grɑː/, "Mardi Gras season", and "Carnival season",[1][2][3][4][5][6] in English, refer to events of the Carnival celebrations, beginning on or after the Epiphany and ending on the day before Ash Wednesday. Mardi Gras is French for "Fat Tuesday" (in ethnic English tradition, Shrove Tuesday), referring to the practice of the last night of eating richer, fatty foods before the ritual fasting of the Lenten season, which started on Ash Wednesday. Related popular practices were associated with celebrations before the fasting and religious obligations associated with the penitential season of Lent. Popular practices included wearing masks and costumes, overturning social conventions, dancing, sports competitions, parades, etc. Similar expressions to Mardi Gras appear in other European languages sharing the Christian tradition. In English, the day is called Shrove Tuesday, associated with the religious requirement for confession before Lent begins.


This pretty (out of focus) mask is actually a thimble - how cute is she?


I am going to have to breakdown and buy a new camera. The detail on this thimble is impressive, too bad the picture isn't.


This cross is typical New Orleans - Fleur di Lis cross and typical of the Mardi Gras festival. Isn't it elegant and beautiful?


I refer to this wall (this is only a partial picture of the wall) as my alter.  I collect crosses and this new one has got to be a favorite for me !!!!!


Enjoy your Mardi Gras y'all.




4 comments:

  1. That is very interesting. We don't really celebrate that here so it was great to learn about it. Your thimble looks gorgeous too by the way!

    Hope your enjoy the rest of the week,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting info on 'Fat Tuesday, I never knew that! Thank you for researching that a bit and sharing with us~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visiting my blog, Sylvia! I love that thimble! I don't think I've ever seen a thimble so decorative before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That thimble is really interesting. I used to collect crosses also. Not as many as you but when we moved to Chicago I gave/donated or yard saled them. The hallway looks nekkid without them now. LOL. I have only been to Mardi Gras in New Orleans once and that was enough for me. I actually enjoy the celebration in Mobile, AL more. Not as crowded I guess. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and look forward to reading each and every one of them,
Sylvia